Saturday, May 5, 2012

Quinoa cakes..Yummy!!

**This is my favorite breakfast after a long ride or run.  Today we rode almost 50 miles and these really filled me up.  I have made quite a few modifications on this to keep it vegan.  I put my modifications in blue.  Enjoy!


By Martha Stewart

Ingredients:

1 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice (I use quinoa)
3/4 cup all purpose flour (I use organic whole wheat flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white (1 use 1 1/2 tablespoons of ground flax & 5 tablespoons water)
1 tablespoon butter, melted, plus more for skillet ( I omit this from the recipe-no substitution)
1/4 cup low fat milk (I use almond milk..I use quite a bit more milk than this...keep adding until you get the right consistency)
2 tbsp pure maple syrup, plus more for serving

Directions:

1.  In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt.  In another bowl, whisk eggs, egg white, butter, milk, and syrup until smooth.  Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine.  (I just put it all in a bowl together since I don't use eggs...no need to dirty another bowl)


2.  Lightly coat pan with butter (I use earth balance vegan butter).  Drop batter into skillet.  Cook approx. 2 min on each side.  Serve with maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment