Tuesday, May 8, 2012

California Quinoa Salad (Whole Foods copycat)


California Quinoa Salad
2 cups mixed quinoa from Trader Joe’s – regular quinoa or red quinoa would work well here too
4 cups water (for cooking quinoa – I cooked mine in my rice cooker on the white rice setting)
1 package frozen mango from Trader Joe’s, thawed OR 2-3 diced fresh mangos
1/2 large red onion, diced
1 medium to large red pepper, diced
1 small bunch cilantro, chopped 
1-2 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
3/4 – 1 cup unsalted, dry-toasted slivered almonds
1-1 1/2 cups raisins (I use the golden raisins from Trader Joes)
2-3 cups frozen edamame, thawed
Juice of 4-5 limes
3 – 4 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar (I used organic white balsamic vinegar)
Instructions:
1. Rinse quinoa well, cook as directed.
2. Fluff quinoa well when done, spread out and let cool.
3. Add all other ingredients and toss.
4. Enjoy cold!!

**This is the BEST salad!  I will probably make this weekly!  I bought all the ingredients at Trader joes.  It makes a ton so you can eat it all week!  I promise you won't be disappointed!

18 comments:

  1. I tried this from the deli at Whole Foods and LOVED LOVED LOVED it!! Thanks for the recipe. Even though the ingrediants were on the container it came in, the measurments were not. Thanks!!! Now if we can only get a Trader Joe's here in Orlando :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Glad you can make it yourself now Rosy! It makes a ton!! If you need to feed a large group, this is the salad to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for posting this! I had this a while back and LOVED it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Kellie! It is one of my favorites too!

      Delete
  5. Since this makes so much, does it freeze well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jennifer...I've never tried to freeze it before so I can't answer that question. You could just make a half portion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Trader Joe's and this salad sounds delicious. Im definitely going to try this recipe out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy a lot of my ingredients at Trader Joes...much cheaper than most markets and healthy tasty items! Hope you enjoyed the recipe!

      Delete
  8. how long will this keep in the refrigerator?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've kept it for around 5 days. You can cut the recipe in half if you like. It makes a ton so only make the full amount if you have a lot of people eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, quick question, would this be gluten free? It is way too much for my partner and I to have so I was going to give some to his mother but she has a gluten intolerance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim...I'm not sure if it's gluten free. I don't want to give you the wrong information. Just cut the recipe in half. I've done that before myself.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it's GF....I have a gluten intolerance as well and this if fine.

      Delete
    2. Thanks...I thought it was but wasn't sure.

      Delete
  12. Any idea how many servings this makes?

    ReplyDelete
  13. 2 cups of quinoa before cooking or after?

    ReplyDelete