Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sweet Potato Pie Oatmeal



Recipe from "Forks over Knives Cookbook" by Del Sroufe

So...I often struggle at breakfast.  I get tired of cereal and basic oatmeal and I can't eat quinoa pancakes every day!  I thought I would try something new.  This is like pumpkin pie meets oatmeal.  I liked it!  And, after my long swim today, it was the perfect meal to fill me up!  I couldn't even eat it all which is not like me! :)

1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (I cooked my sweet potatoe the night before which made it much quicker to cook in the morning)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (I used closer to 2 cups because it was too thick for my liking)
1/2 cup date molasses (I only had regular molasses so I used that.  I only used 1/4 cup to save on calories)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon and ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp orange zest (I omitted since I didn't have an orange)
pinch of salt

Steam or boil the sweet potato until tender, about 10 minutes.  I cooked mine in the microwave until it was soft on the baked potato setting.  Then I peeled the skin off easily with a knife and diced it.  Mash the potato and add it to a saucepan with the oats, almond milk, molasses, cinnamon, ginger, orange zest, allspice, and salt.  Cook the mixture over medium heat until the oats are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. I drizzled a little agave nectar on top just to sweeten it a touch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment