Sunday, August 19, 2012

Quinoa Arugula Salad

From: Forks over Knives Cookbook by Del Sroufe

I'm always looking for quinoa recipes...a good way for me to get protein!  Plus, I make a big batch every Sunday and then use it in my recipes all week to make it easy on me.  This was a good fresh salad.  Although, my son thought the dressing was too citrusy for him.  If that is the case, just drizzle a little olive oil over it to cut the citrus.  I ate it just as the recipe says.  The only exception is that I used regular rice vinegar because I can't find brown rice vinegar for some reason!  I paired this salad with the grilled portobello mushroom recipe I posted.  They were a perfect combination!  Enjoy!


Serves 4

1 1/2 cups quinoa
Zest and juice of 2 oranges
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup brown rice vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
4 cups arugula
1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 in cubes
2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted (bake 350 until golden brown..around 5-10 min)
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Rinse the quinoa and drain.  Bring 3 cups water to a boil.  Add the quinoa and bring back to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 12-18 min, until the quinoa is tender.  Refrigerate until cool.

While the quinoa cools, combine the orange zest and juice, lime zest and juice, brown rice vinegar, arugula, onion, red pepper, pine nuts, and salt and pepper in a bowl.  Add the cooled quinoa and chill for 1 hour before serving.

**I made the quinoa ahead of time to save time.  Also, chill as long as possible before eating for more flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment