From: veganyummies.com Author: Lindsay Rey
I was on the hunt for a delicious tomato soup that didn't contain any dairy. I found it in this recipe!! This is delicious!! Everyone in my family loved it. I made this along with the vegan grilled cheese sandwiches. A perfect combo meal for a chilly December night! I doubled the recipe so that I would have leftovers.
1 cup diced onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tsp plus 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (divided, optional)
1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked for a few hours, if you are not using a high speed blender) I used
my Vitamix blender and did not soak them. It came out perfect.
1/2 cup water
4 1/2 cups stewed tomatoes (three 14.5 ounce cans)
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
3/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1. In a pan, saute onion and garlic in 1 tsp olive oil for 1-2 minutes, just until they are soft and fragrant
2. Place cashews and water in blender. Blend on high for about 30 sec or until the mixture is fairly smooth and creamy. If you need more liquid, add a cup or two of your stewed tomatoes and blend again until all the cashew pieces have disappeared.
3. Add your sautéed onion/garlic and remaining stewed tomatoes to blender and blend until smooth.
4. Pour blender contents into a saucepan on medium to medium-high heat. As soup begins to simmer, stir frequently to prevent lumpiness and burning. Simmer for about 8-10 minutes, or until soup color has darkened slightly.
5. Add remaining ingredients: 1 tbsp olive oil, coconut milk, granulated sugar, dried basil, and salt to your saucepan.
6. Taste for salt and serve immediately!