Thursday, August 22, 2013

Avocado Spring Rolls

From: Nature Box delivered

If there is one thing you need to try, it's these spring rolls!  I altered the recipe by cutting out the chicken since I don't eat meat.  They were fabulous!  My children loved them as well with the peanut dipping sauce.  They made great left overs the next day for lunch and traveled well to school for a healthy lunch for my girls!  I love how my girl's friends are always intrigued by the healthy lunches they bring.  This recipe takes some prep work but it is so worth it!  Makes a great appetizer as well.  On a hot Arizona day, this was the perfect meal!  I served my Chinese "chicken less" salad along with the spring rolls for a hearty dinner.  Enjoy!



Ingredients:
12 rice paper wrappers (found them at Sprouts in the Asian food aisle)
1 cup arugula (Trader Joes has organic washed/bagged arugula)
1 cucumber, julienned
1 carrot, peeled and julienned
1/2 red onion thinly sliced
1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and thinly sliced (I used 2 avocados since I love them!)

For the spicy peanut sauce:
1/4 cup peanut butter (I used organic creamy)
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp hoisin
1-2 tsp Sriracha (I used twice this...I like spice)

Directions:
*Working one at a time, wet rice paper for 10 seconds and transfer to a work surface.  Pace arugula in the enter of each wrapper and top with cucumber, carrot, red onion and avocado.  Bring the bottom edge of the wrap tightly over the filling, rolling from bottom to top until the top of the sheet is reached, being careful not to tear the rice paper.  Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.

*To make the dipping sauce, whisk together peanut butter, water, hoisin and Sriracha in a small bowl.  (I wanted a thinner consistency so I added slightly more water)

*When storing, do not have them touch because the rice paper is sticky.  You don't want them sticking together.

No comments:

Post a Comment